You can submit your application for a motorcycle learner’s permit and license at any BMV license agency in Ohio. You must first apply for a motorcycle permit to be eligible for a motorcycle license.
Given below are the requirements to get a learner’s permit:
OH Temporary Instruction Permit (TIPIC)
- This is a controlled driver’s license, which permits the holder to drive only motorcycles.
- The minimum age to receive your TIPIC is 15 1/2 years of age.
- In case, you are less than 18 years, your parent or custodian must accompany you to the deputy registrar’s office.
- Go to your nearest BMV, pay the required fee along with ID proof.
- You can formally request local exam station to fix your skills test and pass prior to your TIPIC lapses.
- Take a vision test and the written test at a driver’s license exam station.
- If you pass the written test, the examiner will recommend you for new permit
- On passing the knowledge and vision tests, you are given 60 days to have your skills test waived.
- Then submit a document confirming your Social Security number and your motorcycle TIPIC.
- Then you will be given a learner’s permit, which permits you to ride a motorcycle.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- To get a motorcycle license with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) you need to comply with the following at your local Ohio BMV office.
- In case, you are 18 years old or older, then opt for Motorcycle Ohio Basic Rider Course.
- You need to get through two motorcycle license test in Ohio
- Get through the motorcycle written test first.
- Finish a Basic Rider’s Course and/or get through the skills test.
- Submit proof of your ID and remit the motorcycle license fee and surrender your motorcycle TIPIC.
- In case, you are 21 years or older, you will be issued a motorcycle license valid for four years.
Requirements of motorcycle license differ basing on the age and type of license as indicated below:
- This is an additional authorization given to people, who have valid Ohio driver license already. It authorizes the holder to operate motorcycles additionally.
- You need to have a valid Ohio driver’s license.
- You will have to pass knowledge test and vision screening and Ohio Written Motorcycle Knowledge Test
- The test will encompass the basics of your riding skills to ensure that you will be a secure and conscientious motorcycle rider.
Ohio Motorcycle Road Skills Test
- This test is formulated to make sure that you will be safe rider.
Ohio’s Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
- The BMV stipulates that a motorcyclist must have required insurance coverage in force or prove you can comply with the standards of Ohio’s other financial requirements.
- Motorcycle insurance is mandatory for all motorcycles operating in Ohio.
For obtaining license, you need to score well on selecting safe speed, correct path, and staying within borders. Also, conclude usual and swift stops and turns successfully.