When you’re a young traveler, the world really does feel like your oyster. You have so many new people to meet, adventures to embark on and memories to make – it can be hard to keep your heart from fluttering. However, without losing that amazing sense of wonder, you want to make sure that you go about things pragmatically so that you can stay safe and make the most of your time and money. Here are 5 spring break travel safety tips for college students.
- Make sure to get all necessary immunizations. Whenever you are traveling abroad, you definitely want to be sure to look up the list of immunizations you need before traveling to that country and make sure to get them well ahead of time. If you are not up to date on all of your normal immunizations already, then you definitely want to get those taken care of, whether you’re leaving the country or not.
- Always have multiple forms of ID on you. When you’re traveling, you never know what could happen, and a lot of tourist locations are rife with pickpockets. That’s why you always want to be sure to bring multiple forms of ID with you on your trip. In the unfortunate situation that you are mugged or your hotel room is robbed, you will still have some way of identifying yourself. Just make sure that you don’t keep all of your eggs in one basket, so to speak. If you are bringing a birth certificate, make sure it is a copy.
- Have a safe place to keep all of your valuables. If you are walking around, you want to be sure that you don’t have all of your valuables loosely dangling from your shoulder in a purse of backpack. You want to be sure that you have some kind of jacket or belt with zippered pockets so that you can keep everything safe and secure. If you are staying in a hotel, be sure to use their provided safe, and don’t travel with too much cash on you throughout the day.
- Don’t go with anyone you don’t know to any private places. If you’re out and about, meeting people and having fun, it can be very easy to develop a good rapport with a stranger and instantly feel very trusting of them. Unfortunately, this is what con artists are masters of, and they’re just waiting for you to let your guard down. If you decide to follow anybody anywhere, be sure that you’re not alone and always stay in public places. You especially never want to invite anybody back to your room.
- Consult the expertise of a reputable guide. Let’s say you are traveling to Rio De Janeiro, there are so many places to see, and unfortunately, there are also so many places where you could end up wasting your time or getting yourself into trouble. That’s why you want some insider’s expertise from somewhere Hipmunk’s guide to Rio De Janeiro. This way you’ll find all the best clubs, restaurants, and tourist attractions to see.