With the advent of target based advertising digital marketing, essay writing has become quite a rage these days. Not only that, most pioneer schools emphasize on the importance of good quality essay and grammar from a very early age, because they know well that no matter which field of education the child chooses later on, he/she will almost invariably have to write articles, projects and admission statements.
Understanding the Importance to Lay Certain Ground Rules of Essay Writing
- Do not resort to plagiarism: In layman terms, plagiarism can be defined as using another individual’s manner of expression, without giving any credit to the donor, or simply ‘lifting’ the words from a published article to write a passage. In the professional world, plagiarism is regarded as a criminal offence. It is absolutely fine to refer to a published article to get an idea of the topic, but blindly copying words from the same is totally unacceptable. Not only is it highly unethical but also short-circuits the individual’s potential manner of expression and birth of creativity.
Some essays do require quoted words of an author or an already published article. In that case, adequate citation and reference must be given to acknowledge the contribution of the original writer. The rule of plagiarism is slightly blurred when it comes to writing research articles, as the latter involves a great deal citations and quotations, still the idea behind the article and the phrases used must be unique and free of corruption.
- Avoid using contractions such as it’s, you’re and they’re: Contractions may be an easy way to keep articles within word limit and also save some time in writing out entire words, their usage should be kept in limits. This is because; very often they tend to make the content unclear.
- Punctuation rules: It is essential to incorporate adequate punctuation marks in proper places. This goes a long way in adding polish and clarity to the overall essay. Every sentence must end with a full stop and conjunctions should not be preceded by commas. Another area of problem is the input of hyphens. Any two words which can or are used singly must be separated by a hyphen, when they are used together. For more information on essay writing one can contact http://www.essaywolves.com/.
- Avoid rhetorical questions: The reader of an essay is more interested in the answers rather than the questions. Unless the theme of the essay is very thought-provoking or debate type, questions must never be really asked.
- Do not end sentences with prepositions: Both amateur as well as ace essay writers face problem in this area. Some do it consciously while others do it unknowingly. Sentences should never be ended with words like of, off, on and other prepositions.
- Always employ non-sexist language: When referring to any general phenomena, sexist language such as ‘man’ or she/her should be avoided and a particular class of people or the audience in general must be addressed by common terms such as ‘one’ or them/they and so on.
Formatting rules: The final step to lend a finishing touch to an essay is through formatting. With regards to this, every paragraph must be indented with at least five spaces.